Guide to Good Municipal Governance is written specifically to help councils and staff in their challenging task of governing Canada’s municipalities. This completely revised Second Edition provides updated references, with expanded and more recent examples of good governance initiatives. Subjects addressed include:
- the use of technology in measurement and management;
- strategic planning and setting priorities;
- innovative approaches by municipalities;
- further methods of informing and engaging the public;
- more examples of partnerships (including those between municipalities and educational institutions);
- the importance of values, including especially ethical values;
- a protocol for effective council-staff relations; and
- the potential and limits of codes of conduct.
Examples of emerging and best practices from municipalities across Canada are used to illustrate the keys to good municipal governance described in this Guide.
Approx. 124 pgs.