Rural municipal leaders head to Toronto for 2020 ROMA Conference
Posted in: News Item
Date Posted: 2020-01-14
Organization Name: Rural Ontario Municipal Association
More than 1,000 rural municipal officials and other participants from across the province will attend the 2020 Rural Ontario Municipal Association (ROMA) Conference.
The annual conference – set for Toronto from Sunday, January 19 to Tuesday, January 21 at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel – allows municipal leaders to forge relationships and foster partnerships.
The program features plenary sessions and workshops reflecting the broad scope of municipal responsibilities. Key session topics relate to rural health care including public health and paramedics, broadband expansion and social issues like the opioid crisis.
Keynote presenters include:
- Premier Doug Ford, Premier of Ontario
- Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Steve Clark
- Minister of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs Ernie Hardeman
- Minister of Health Christine Elliott
- Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath
- Interim Ontario Liberal Party Leader John Fraser
- Green Party of Ontario Leader Mike Schreiner
- AMO President Jamie McGarvey
The conference will also host the Ministers’ Forum, a popular open question and answer period. Other speakers include Canadian broadcast personality and marketing guru Terry O’Reilly, and nationally syndicated political columnist Andrew Coyne.
In addition to the conference program, municipal elected officials will take part hundreds of delegation meetings with provincial ministries.
Information is available online at www.roma.on.ca