Vice President, Commercial Management (Rapid Transit)
Employee Status: Regular
Bargaining Unit: Non-Union
Pay Range: $168,100 – $214,800
Location: 20 Bay Street, Toronto
Closing Date: 17-May-2021
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Reporting into the Chief Operating Officer (Rapid Transit), the Vice President, Commercial Management (Rapid Transit) will provide strategic leadership and oversight of commercial decision-making for Rapid Transit, coordinate commercial leadership across the corporation and, in situations where executive involvement is warranted, provide commercial advice to the President and CEO, Senior Management Team, and other Metrolinx leaders.
What will I be doing?
- Lead the development and deployment of a commercial management strategy within the team and across the corporation.
- Oversee the commercial management function within the team, throughout the life cycle of all material contracts/projects, and ensure there are effective and efficient policies, procedures and best practices in place to maintain that function.
- Manage and, where applicable, leads matrix teams to complete important strategic commercial projects and contracts and/or the resolution of complex claims.
- Inform strategic planning and policy development to ensure fiscal responsibility, value for money and commercial/contract management best practices.
- Work with the Board, Senior Management Team and other partners to develop new concepts,design new programs, discuss contracting models and provide commercial direction.
- Work with the COO to complete budget planning, monitoring and forecasting.
- Direct all corrective activity in response to goal performance, variance to contract(s) and presentprogress reports.
- Support committees and the Board and provides advice, influence decisions and make recommendations on commercial and contract management issues.
What skills & qualifications do I need?
- Completion of a degree in Engineering, Business Administration or a related discipline or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent; Graduate level degree is an asset.
- Minimum fifteen (15) years’ experience in progressively senior project leadership roles.
- Experience leading large complex projects from conception to build with experience and measured success in the application of commercial management methodology in the context of multi-million-dollar projects.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or international equivalent accreditation an asset;Professional Engineer Ontario (PEO), Chartered Management Accountant (CMA) of similar professional accreditation an asset.
- An in-depth understanding of contract law and corporate governance requirements is required.
- Experience working with senior legal counsel in the interpretation of contract law, and Ontario legislation (e.g. Construction Lien Act, Professional Engineers Act, Canadian Construction Documents Committee documents, custom contract documents, specifications and drawings, and legal statues and proceedings).
- Expert knowledge of procurement structures, principles, methodologies and practices, including P3 or Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) procurement methodologies; expert knowledge of the stage gate design and delivery process for major projects, to lead and manage projects through the project life cycle.
- Expert knowledge of construction contract administration and claims management techniques and practices in a large multi project complex Transit construction and infrastructure environment.
- Broad knowledge of municipal, provincial and federal regulations and best practices applicable to transit, including workplace safety.
Accommodation: Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
Application Process: All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online through the Current Opportunities page.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER