Technical Support Specialist
Posting #: 22-903EXT
Posting Date: September 22, 2022
Closing Date: October 07, 2022
Job Title: Technical Support Specialist
Location: 120 Martin Ross – ITS Service Desk and Technical Support
Information & Technology Services
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Hours per week and Schedule of Work (Hours and schedule of work are subject to change in accordance with Article 19):
35 hours per week. Evenings and Saturdays required.
WEEKS 1 & 2:
Mon. to Fri. 9:00am – 5:00pm
Plus variable hours. Variable hours will be required based on operational needs to accommodate support and IT changes scheduled for off hours and weekends.
The Technical Support Specialist’s role is to ensure proper computer operations so that end users can accomplish organizational tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user requests. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostics and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give hands-on help by travelling to various branches.
- Field incoming service requests from end users via both telephone and work orders in a courteous manner.
- Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name, department, contact information, and nature of problem or issue.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from service desk customers.
- Prioritize and schedule problems. Escalate problems (when required) to the appropriately experienced technician.
- Record, track, and document the service desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to the final resolution.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Travel to branches to do onsite repairs.
- Develop knowledge base articles for end users.
- Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position
- Two-year college diploma in a related field or equivalent combination of education, training and experience; three (3) years’ desktop support, network support and client/server support experience in a mid to large corporate environment.
- Experience with or education in operating systems, systems software, LAN and WAN
- Proven ability to deal with multiple tasks, work independently and in team environment and to work effectively under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability
Salary: $ 52,124.80 per annum (2022 Rates)
How to Apply:
E-mail your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job Posting #, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
COVID-19 vaccines are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical or other protected ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The Toronto Public Library invites applications from all qualified individuals. The Library is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from visible minorities, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.