Policy Planner III
POSTING NUMBER: 103853
(24 – MONTHS CONTRACT)
STARTING SALARY: $93,111.20 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Land Use Policy, this position will coordinate the review of the City’s Official and Secondary Plans and prepare new Secondary Plans for residential, employment and commercial areas of the City. Draft comprehensive zoning by-laws for specific areas of the City.
- Coordinate the Official Plan review and review of Secondary Plans, including coordinating public and stakeholder consultation.
- Undertake research and analysis on a wide range of planning policy issues that affect the City, including interpretation and implementation of Provincial legislation and policies.
- Prepare land use plans and drafts policies for new Secondary Plan areas and Block Plan areas, prepare reports/recommendations and present to Council.
- Draft comprehensive zoning by-law amendments for specific areas of the City or special study areas.
- Liaise with senior staff of other levels of government and negotiate approval of official plan amendments by regional and Provincial agencies.
- Advise other departments, public, senior staff etc. regarding City’s Official Plan, Secondary Plans, Block Plans and other planning policy documents.
- Coordinate and review background component studies prepared by consultants that are used as input for the Official Plan Review as well as for Secondary Plan reviews and Block Planning.
- As coordinator of selection committee, evaluate study proposals, interview consultants and assist in consultant selection.
- Represent the Planning Department in committees of inter-municipal planning studies and at open houses and public meetings organized by other agencies.
- Review development applications and provide comments from a planning policy perspective.
- Undertake site visits and geographic surveys of planning areas.
- Appear before the Ontario Municipal Board to provide expert planning evidence on behalf of the City.
- Monitor implementation of City’s Official Plan and Secondary Plan policies as well as implementation of long range plans of adjacent municipalities.
- Respond to staff and public inquires during in-person consultations at public information centres, open houses, public meetings and service counter.
- Perform additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- Completion of a Post Secondary Degree in Urban and Regional Planning or equivalent.
- Over four (4) years, up to and including eight (8) years of related experience in long range planning, policy planning studies and review of Official Plan and Secondary Plans.
- Provisional membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP) and the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI).
- Valid non probationary Class ‘G’ Driver’s Licence
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation with the OPPI.
- Ability to draft clear, concise reports and planning documents.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
|Job status: Contract
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: October 30, 2020
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103853 by October 30, 2020 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.