POSTING NUMBER: 103692
STARTING SALARY: $77,950.60 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Plans & Permits this position co-ordinates and monitors approval process for projects subject to site plan approval, conditional permit agreements, temporary structure agreements and related projects. Monitors time frame provisions and Building Code notification requirements for permit submissions. Reviews plans submitted for building permits for compliance with the Ontario Building Code and standards referenced therein.
- Coordinates and monitors approval process for projects subject to site plan approval, conditional permit agreements temporary structure agreements and related projects.
- Monitors time frame provisions and notification requirements of the Building Code for permit submissions.
- Provides preliminary plan assessment over the counter for to determine the adequacy of technical and administrative documentation and extent of other “applicable law” for permit application submissions.
- Provide technical information and direction to customers over the counter and in response to telephone inquiries.
- Perform plans review for compliance with the Building Code and applicable law.
- Performs research for and prepares technical reports as required or requested.
- Liaises with inspectors in the resolution of design and construction issues and permit status.
- Maintain current knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, the Building Code Act and the standards referenced therein.
- Maintains and updates progress of project review on the permit tracking system.
- Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two and up to three years in Architectural Technology, Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- Over four (4) years, up to and including eight (8) years of experience in a regulatory environment preferably in Building Code enforcement or direct experience in the building design or construction process.
- Within six (6) months from date of hire, successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
- Legal Processes
- Within 12 months from date of hire, successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
- Small Buildings
- Large Buildings
- Building Structural
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: March 1, 2020
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103692 by March 1, 2020 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.