Financial Analyst (Competition #2023-22)
POSITION: Financial Analyst (Competition #2023-22)
LOCATION: Corporate Services – Finance – Woodstock, ON
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
REPORTING TO: Supervisor of Financial Services and Initiatives
UNION AFFILIATION: Non-Union
WAGE RANGE: $39.68 – $49.60/hr. ($72,217.60 – $90,272.00/annually)
Oversees the accounting system, produces reports for both internal and external users, completes analysis of data in the system, provides training and support relating to various financial systems, provides assistance to department managers and supervisors, and carries out required duties from the yearly departmental budgets to the year-end process.
- Operates as the primary support person for the Manager of Finance by:
- Preparation of year-end working papers. Works with external auditors.
- Assists in the preparation of the Annual Financial Reports and related Financial Information Return.
- Prepares program specific external reporting and claim forms including Provincial and Federal grant funding reporting, Statistics Canada and Authorities relating to the Library Board, Paramedic Services, Ontario Works, Social Housing, Woodingford Lodge, Child Care, Provincial Offences, Recycling Program and Public Works.
- Collaborates with Departments to ensure complete and accurate submissions.
- Liaises with program specific agencies such as Federal and Provincial Ministries and Authorities as needed to clarify and provide information.
- Develops internal financial reports to assist departments in managing their business on an on-going basis as well as to help them forecast projections of revenue and expenses.
- Perform regular and special request financial analysis in alignment with the County’s financial policies.
- Prepares monthly reconciliation and analysis of accounts including any journal entries required. Includes monthly and quarterly balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Collaborate with department managers to prepare and consolidate the annual budget, including assisting in the maintenance of budget software.
- Maintains the chart of accounts and General Ledger system.
- Researching issues and best practices and develops recommendations to be applied in both financial reporting and business processes.
- Compiles information and values to assist in the asset management process.
- Provides support to Finance staff on all aspects of their accounting duties.
- Foster interdepartmental relations including providing education and training as required with funding and budget matters, in order to operate in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Ability to read and interpret Council reports, by-laws, legislation and guidelines, policies, legal/funding agreements and collective bargaining agreements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- University degree in business, finance or accounting and enrolled in the Chartered Professional Accountant program (CPA) or has three years’ experience in a similar position.
- Minimum three years related experience in a similar position.
- Knowledge of all accounting procedures from basic journal entries to year end closing activity and financial statement preparation.
- Sound understanding of the Canadian public sector accounting standards establish by the Public Sector Accounting Board (“PSAB”).
- Knowledge of the municipal legislation affecting financial reporting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint at an intermediate level and Excel at an advanced level
- Ability to communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member with equally successful results
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
Please note that vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement as a condition of employment, subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason may be considered, including whether a medical reason is permanent or time-limited.
Resumes will only be accepted electronically via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include competition # and position title in the subject line of your email.
POSTING DATE: Tuesday, January 24, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Tuesday, February 14, 2023 by 4:00 p.m.
Oxford County is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the Corporation. Oxford County promotes representational and employment equity to represent and serve our communities well. Oxford County is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and other equity-seeking groups. Oxford County is committed to fostering an accessible and equitable recruitment process for all applicants. The County will attempt to provide reasonable accommodations to ensure the applicant’s full participation if requested. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, resumes are only accepted in response to advertised vacancies and will be used for the purposes of determining eligibility for employment only. We appreciate all resumes, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. If you require any document in an accessible format, contact us via email, in person, by telephone, or in writing using the contact information below.