ELECTIONS COORDINATORS (14-MONTH CONTRACT)
WE ARE CURRENTLY RECRUITING FOR TWO ELECTIONS COORDINATORS
(14- MONTH CONTRACT)
ELECTIONS COORDINATOR – RECRUITMENT, STAFFING & TRAINING
ELECTIONS COORDINATOR – VOTER ADMINISTRATION
POSTING NUMBER: 104381
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $81,325.00 – $91,491.00 PER ANNUM
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $101,656.00 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Senior Coordinator, Elections and Special Projects, as a key member of the Election team, coordinate the research, planning and execution of projects related to municipal and school board general elections and by-elections. Develop and implement election policies and procedures according to the Municipal Elections Act (MEA) and related legislation, manage candidate and third party advertiser relations, secure voting locations, recruit and train election day workers, and support the establishment of the Election Compliance Audit Committee.
- Ensures election administration is in compliance with the Municipal Elections Act (MEA) and other relevant legislation.
- Provides day-to-day coordination, guidance and support for defined programs, processes, policies, practices and project initiatives to meet operational needs and corporate service standards.
- Develops and implements election policies and procedures for municipal elections and by-elections.
- Manages projects related to the research, procurement and implementation of election equipment.
- Updates voting subdivision boundaries, utilizing GIS technology.
- Liaises with Information Technology in the development and maintenance of system information used for managing election workers, candidates, voters’ lists, locations and vote tabulation.
- Organizes voting locations, coordinating with internal and external clients; including Community Services, Brampton Library, School Boards, the Region of Peel, community churches and nursing homes.
- Manages all aspects of the voting location process, including assigning voters to locations, conducting voting location inspections and accessibility needs assessments, securing permits, developing floorplans, and arranging all required Election Day supplies.
- Organizes the Candidate Information Night as well as other public information sessions as required.
- Provides overall supervision of operations and procedures during Advance Vote days and Election Day.
- Reviews and maintains divisional election procedures manual.
- Maintains inventory of all election supplies and technology between events.
- Coordinates external Board of Director Elections, on behalf of the City of Brampton, for external organizations as requested.
- Provides support, as required, to the Clerk’s Office.
- Coordinates public outreach events.
- Acts as a key source of contact and provides guidance, advice and support to ensure coordination meets operational needs and corporate service standards. Escalates complex issues to appropriate level for resolution.
- Builds and maintains a relationship with cross-functional departments, team and management to support coordination and ensure a thorough understanding of operational needs.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Prepares reports to Council regarding changes to the Municipal Elections Act, policies, procedures and new initiatives to deliver the election project.
- Updates information on the internal and external Election website.
- Arranges for the publication of required Election notices in various media outlets.
- Creates all written materials for circulation to candidates, staff/volunteers, Compliance Audit Committee and the public.
- Prepares management reports, presentations and general ad hoc information as required accurately by established timelines.
- Creates and maintains documentation and ensures necessary sign-offs and approvals meet policies and confidentiality.
- Supports the establishment of the Compliance Audit Committee.
- Conducts research using internal and external resources to gain insight of market trends, current programs, processes and practices to support management and recommend ways to improve business processes, service solutions and best practices.
- Maintains knowledge of collective agreements, City policies and practices, legislation, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
STAFF GUIDANCE AND DIRECTION
- Provides operational guidance and direction to Election staff and volunteers, through coordination and supervision of an election management team overseeing the employment of over 2,000 persons to deliver the election project.
- Supports staff, prioritizes and organizes daily work direction to meet operational effectiveness.
- Coaches, mentors and provides guidance as required to meet operational effectiveness.
- Provides input into performance reviews as required.
- Recruits, trains and supervises Election Day and project staff.
- Participates in the hiring of the Election Assistant and other key election team members.
- Acts as the main point of contact for candidates, third party advertisers, staff/volunteers and the public, ensuring a high level of customer service.
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Participates in project coordination and team meetings as required to meet operational needs.
- Works well within diverse groups in support of operational goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates corporate values at all times.
- Participates as a member of cross-functional team.
- Provides support/backup as necessary.
- Manages special projects as assigned.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Public Administration or Business or equivalent
- Completion of Municipal Administration Program (MAP) with the Association of Municipal Clerks and Treasures of Ontario (AMCTO) is an asset
- Minimum 3 years of experience in municipal government with an emphasis on elections
- 3 years supervisory experience
- Experience with project management an asset
- Thorough knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal governments and applicable legislations is an asset
- Ability to identify business needs, initiate and coordinate project resource requests
- Solid customer service and people management skills; interface with internal and external customers to meet corporate service standards
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail oriented, with ability to coordinate activities and tasks meeting conflicting priorities and timelines
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated judgement, tact and diplomacy skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a larger group
- Proficiency with report writing and MS Office
- Knowledge of Municipal election legislation and practices with exposure to leading edge election-related technology
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
|Job status: Contract
Job Type: Management and Administration
Applications must be received by: October 25, 2021
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #104381 by October 25, 2021 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact TalentAcquisition@brampton.ca or 905.874-2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.