Director of Community and Development Services
The Town of Lakeshore is a beautiful Municipality situated in southern Ontario along Lake St. Clair. The Town has a population of over 35,000 and is one of the fastest growing municipalities in Ontario. The Town Lakeshore enjoys a temperate climate year round with more than 200 growing days. Lakeshore’s affordable lakefront community enjoys over 35 km of waterfront, low taxes, a high quality of life and abundant recreational opportunities with the new multi-use recreation centre, the Atlas Tube Centre including pools, 3 ice pads, gyms, and much more.
The Town of Lakeshore has an employment opportunity for a Director of Community and Development Services. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this highly motivated, team oriented individual will assume a leadership role as part of the Senior Management Team. The Director will provide administrative leadership to the operations of the department responsible for all aspects of Planning/Development Services, Building Services, Recreation and Leisure Services, and Communication Services.
- Must have a University degree in Urban Planning and Development, Public Administration, Economic Development, Business Administration or a related field
- Registered Professional Planner designation preferred
- Post graduate degree in a related discipline preferred (MBA, MPlan, MPA, etc.)
- 10 years progressive experience in a senior management position
Knowledge and Experience:
- Must have experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Must have a comprehensive knowledge of and ability to interpret and administer a variety of regulations, Acts, contractual agreements, policies and guidelines pertaining to Development Services, Building Services, Recreation and Leisure Services, Communication Services.
- Must have experience with developing operational recommendations and requirements.
- Must have experience in negotiating contracts.
- Must have experience in developing strategic plans in economic development.
- Excellent managerial and administrative skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have experience in networking and building strong relationships especially with other levels of government.
- Must have experience in coaching and developing teams and people;
- Project management experience would be an asset.
- Provide leadership to Managers within the department.
- Prepare, review and submit of annual business plan and budgets, both operating and capital, for the department.
- Analyze, review and provide recommendations to the CAO and Council regarding strategic planning, current and future legislative requirements and impacts, corporate goals, tenders and contract administration of municipal projects and long term capital plans.
- Prepare and submit reports and recommendations to Council.
- Develop and implement strategic long term planning initiatives.
- Monitor and implement the provisions of the collective agreements.
- Assist the Chief Administrative Officer in developing corporate policies and procedures.
- Represent the Town with senior levels of government, the media, outside agencies and the community.
- Ensure a robust and multi-faceted communications programme, both internal and external.
- Other duties as assigned.
Decision Making and Judgement:
- Analyze the needs of the community and planning programs that will most effectively meet community needs within budgetary guidelines and other resources available.
- Establish priorities of work schedules, identifying the most appropriate resources for the delivery services and programs.
- Supervise and make independent decisions related to the effective and efficient operation of the Department in accordance with established policies, procedures, directives, practices and guidelines.
- Determine funding requirements for programs and obtaining funding sources of same.
- Develop and recommend short and long range strategic planning for the municipality in collaboration with the CAO and other members of the Senior Management Team for approval by Council.
- Direct the Managers in the operation of their respective divisions.
- Develop departmental levels of service for Council approval and identifying and resolving problems for the department as required.
- In consultation with the Managers, evaluate the effectiveness and cost efficiency of services and formulating appropriate recommendations for the review of the Senior Management Team and Council.
- Develop strategies to maximize utilization of equipment and staff and to ensure effective training and development systems are in place.
- Prioritize workload, meet deadlines, detail oriented and accurate.
- Demonstrate tact and discretion in handling matters of a confidential or politically sensitive nature and to maintain confidentiality.
- Develop, implement and/or interpret policies, by-laws, acts, regulations, etc.
- This role must become competent within the Occupational Health & Safety Act. In addition, this position must become capable of recognizing work hazards and be able to translate same into operational recommendations and requirements.
- Directly supervise Managers of Development, Building, Recreation and Communication Services.
- Department personnel also includes non-management staff in in Development, Building, Recreation including the Marina
- Provide leadership for the department including performance reviews, training, coaching, health & safety compliance and assisting with the planning and follow up of operational issues.
- Strategic planning of human capital resources in each area
- Strategic planning of organizational design in each area
- Establish goals and objectives for department and Managers within department;
- Coordinate all aspects of the operation of Community and Development Services;
- Oversee the development and implementation of programs that will assist in delivering quality services and programs to the ratepayers.
- Provide leadership and to motivate staff to deliver quality service and programs to ratepayers and customers.
- Assist in recruitment, training, setting objectives, performance management, vacation scheduling, lieu and flex time approval, etc.;
- Identify and assist in addressing the professional needs of staff;
- Develop, implement and manage the budget for Community and Development Services
- Assist in setting service level goals and monitor against financial targets as approved by council;
- Manage department projects/programs;
- Develop, present, implement, monitor and evaluate annual capital and operating budgets as requested by the CAO and Council;
- Project financial variances as part of the monthly or quarterly review; monitor and control budgets in conjunction with finance staff.
- Authorize expenditures in accordance with Purchasing Policy
Must have strong organizational and leadership skills. Must have proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders and must be able to effectively manage multiple tasks/projects/initiatives concurrently.
Must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written to provide advice and direction to Council, staff and the general public. Must also have strong skills in networking and relationship building internally and externally.
- Staff working in the Community and Development Service divisions
- Senior Management Team
- Union stewards
- Public relations
- External stakeholders
- Senior Management members of regional municipalities
- Various levels of government
- Union representatives
- Media, contractors and outside agencies
- Works within an office environment.
- Some exposure to outdoor conditions (field visits as needed)
- Minimal exposure to mechanical rooms, including exposure to moving equipment (belts, pulleys, fans, motors, etc), noise, fumes, and possible exposure to toxic chemicals (cleaning, ammonia, chlorine) (visits as required)
- Some travel may be required.
Control over Work Schedule
- Office hours being 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week) but extended hours to meet deadlines and workload are the norm
- Required to attend Council and Committee meetings.
- Lieu time is capped at 35 hours per year
Qualified applicants interested in the position are to email a detailed resume outlining their qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2:00 pm on Thursday, May 23, 2019 clearly indicating Director of Community and Development Services in the subject line.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will only be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for this competition. The Town of Lakeshore is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations under the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) will be provided upon request.