Director of the Integrated Analytics and Exploration Branch
Join the Ontario Public Service!
Do you have a passion for turning data science, statistics, and advanced analytics into meaningful and practical information for the public?
Are you an executive who enjoys the challenge of enhancing systems and adding new strategies to improve performance outcomes?
Do you want to use your executive analytical expertise to enable evidence-informed decisions? Do you want to play an integral role in shaping the future of Policing or Social Services systems?
Look no further! The Ontario Public Service has an executive leadership opportunity where you will contribute in making a difference towards supporting organizational effectiveness and demonstrating improved outcomes for Ontarians!
- Director, Integrated Analytics and Exploration, Business Intelligence and Practice Division, MCCSS (Temporary – 18 months)
You’re the missing piece of the puzzle
The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services & the Solicitor General are looking for unique executives who will:
- Be accountable: by being results-driven, committed, and having integrity.
- Champion change: by taking on new and innovative initiatives and appropriate risks.
- Model leadership: by promoting and demonstrating the highest standards of ethical behaviors including building a diverse and inclusive organization.
- Establish strategic partnerships: by promoting the Ministries’ vision and strategic plan to cultivate relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Be future-focused: by using agile and iterative processes, being digitally literate, and integrating data and analytics.
- Drive innovation: by discovering, combining and integrating insights in a new way.
The Director of the Integrated Analytics and Exploration Branch, in the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS), will be responsible for providing Ministry-wide leadership and expertise in the field of data science and advanced analytics in order to improve social services systems performance and enable evidence-informed decision making.
The Inspectorate of Policing will be established to meet the legislative mandate of the Inspector General of Policing, as required under the Community Safety and Policing Act (CSPA), 2019, to monitor and conduct inspections on the provision of policing and compliance with the CSPA and regulations and investigate board member misconduct and certain policing complaints. You can read more about the organization in the public announcement of the province’s first Inspector General of Policing here.
Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Anti-Racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable. Diversifying leadership teams is a top OPS priority with the goal to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most underrepresented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) in leadership positions. To advance this goal, the OPS is collecting socio-demographic information that will help to address potential barriers and achieve equity in hiring.
You are invited to complete the voluntary survey and contribute to building a more diverse, inclusive and accessible OPS. If you have completed the survey since September 28th, 2020, you do not need to complete it again unless you would like to change your responses or consent.
The OPS is an accessible employer and offers accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Director, Integrated Analytics and Exploration you will:
- Provide leadership and direction to the Branch and Division by leading and supporting an agile, cross-functional, multi-disciplinary teams to deliver on Ministry priorities.
- Build an advanced and agile analytics team to lead innovative projects to support effective policy and program development, operational intelligence, efficient and effective service system design and delivery, and improve data systems and information management.
- Ensure the development and delivery of advance analytics tools and products to inform policy, operations and service delivery decisions.
- Develop strategies and approaches to integrate advanced analytics tools and systems in the Ministry’s ongoing business practice to achieve results.
- Work collaboratively across the division, Ministry and the Ontario Public Sector to contribute to the deployment and integration of advanced analytics solutions to support the ministry’s vision and priorities.
How do I qualify?
- You are a collaborative and innovative leader with the proven ability to meet business priorities and execute new opportunities to maximize results.
- You are willing to champion new and innovative initiatives and take the appropriate risks to deliver expected outcomes.
- You can champion a culture and practice of evidence-based, data-driven analysis, program and policy development by delivering high-value projects and services that are reflective of the needs of the ministry and the public.
- You approach analysis and problem solving in a creative and innovative way to incorporate the big picture.
- You motivate and inspire staff through change while fostering a culture of innovation, diversity, inclusion, equity and excellence.
Relationship Management and Communication
- You have created relationships and partnerships within and outside the OPS in order to support policy and program priorities.
- You demonstrate exceptional communication skills and political acuity to provide senior level expertise and advice to ministry executives including the Minister and Deputy Minister.
- You have proven success in negotiating, managing, and resolving complex, sensitive and high-profile issues.
- You have experience in designing high-quality products to present information in a meaningful and consumable way to end users.
Knowledge in Analytics, Data Science, and Performance Measures
- You have knowledge and experience in the development and application of advanced analytics to influence direction and improve results.
- You have experience and understanding in the area of complex conceptual and empirical model building to predict patterns and trends from structured and unstructured data sources.
- You have experience developing and managing valid and reliable performance indicators and performance reporting to ensure results are achieved.
- You are aware of broad socio-economic trends and policy issues in the policing sector or in the children, community and social service sectors.
- You are a creative thinker with the ability to dive beneath the data and approach issues/problems from a different angle.
- You have experience building compelling business cases, using analytical capabilities and influential strategies to integrate results into practice.
Two Pre-Screen Questions:
- I acknowledge that there is a voluntary survey to complete as part of this competition and that, if I choose not to participate in this survey, this will not impact my participation in the competition process.
- Please indicate which position(s) you are interested in.
- Director, Integrated Analytics and Exploration
- Director, Centre for Data Intelligence and Innovation
Salary Range: $130,930 – $171,620 per year
Location: Toronto, ON
Please apply online, only, by Monday, December 7, 2020, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=156766. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Recruitment Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.