|DEPARTMENT: Office of the Chief Administrative Officer||LOCATION: Essex, Ontario|
|POSITION TYPE: Permanent, Full Time (40 hr/week)||POSTING #: 44-21|
|OPENING DATE: Sept. 10, 2021||CLOSING DATE: Sept. 30, 2021|
WHO WE ARE:
The County of Essex is Canada’s warmest and southernmost County, surrounded on three sides by water and blessed with unrivalled opportunities for boating, fishing, cycling, golfing and other recreational pursuits. One of Ontario’s best kept secrets, the County offers an affordable mix of urban and rural living with easy access to world-class amenities and schools. Windsor is our major centre and we are located just minutes from downtown Detroit. The County offers a competitive total rewards package including generous benefits, a generous vacation schedule and a work-life balance program.
IN A NUTSHELL:
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, and working closely with the Senior Leadership Team, you will be responsible for advising and representing the County of Essex in matters of law and providing legal services to the corporation. You will provide quality legal advice and services to County Council and all departments within.
DAY IN THE LIFE:
- A trusted source of information, legal analysis and strategic advice to all departments of the County and County Council on a broad range of legal matters including legislation.
- Active involvement in core areas include municipal governance, land use, development, real estate, property, construction, contract matters, employment law and litigation matters.
- Negotiate, prepare and review agreements, contracts, leases, deeds, mortgages, easements, restrictive covenants, license of occupation, policies and other legal instruments to implement and safeguard County’s interests, and as authorized by County Council.
- Prepare, review and interpret legal opinions.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor and be a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- Minimum of five (5) years related experience, preferably gained in a municipal environment;
- Experience in real estate conveyancing, contracts, corporate matters, employment law and planning and development law is preferred;
- Demonstrated political acumen and ability to negotiate/mediate, facilitate and present information to a varied audience, exhibited through excellent written and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong leadership and inter-personal skills with the ability to work effectively as a member of a team and liaise with key external stakeholders and individuals/departments at all levels of the organization;
- Ability to demonstrate innovation and accomplishment;
- High degree of tact and diplomacy, the ability to exercise discretion and sound judgment is required;
- Must have proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects concurrently, prioritize workload, meet deadlines and be detail oriented and accurate.
- Proven analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to work under tight deadlines.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING:
A competitive annual salary range of $124,478 – $152,826 (under review) is just the beginning. The benefit package is second to none and the defined benefit plan of Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (O.M.E.R.S) is a pension system sought by many. Balancing your work and personal life is part of the County culture, and is supported by flexible working options and a generous vacation schedule.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online at the Career Opportunities section of our website at www.countyofessex.on.ca by the posting deadline. Due to the volume of applicants, only selected applicants will be contacted.
The County of Essex, embraces diversity and inclusion in our workforce and workplace. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable environment for people to be themselves. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate needs under human rights legislation throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please let us know of any accommodations through email@example.com. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially. This information can be made available in alternate formats upon request.
Personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for the purpose of this employment opportunity only.