Construction Inspector 3
|Posting Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2020||Closing Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 @ 12:00 NOON|
|Wage: $ 29.69 – $ 32.36 per hour||Classification: CUPE Outside Class 7|
Working under minimal supervision, this job is responsible for on-site inspection of maintenance or construction projects including (but not limited to) road works, linear water and sewer and storm water construction.
This job will work a 40-hour work week.
Responsibilities of the Construction Inspector 3 will include, but not be limited to:
- Understand and interpret the requirements and details of construction drawings and specifications
- Inspect work in progress and coordinate testing and approval of materials according to the required or established frequency; examine (measuring, testing) the work to the detail required to ensure contract compliance;
- Monitor contractor’s work in accordance with contracts, plans, specifications, policy, standards and good engineering practice for all District Capital Projects
- Coordinate with contractors in monitoring and comparing progress with proposed schedule.
- Track contract tender quantities and extra work for payment in conformance with allocated budget.
- Maintain a complete and up to date Inspector’s diary and keep all records of work on site along with records of equipment used and materials delivered.
- Coordinate with survey crews to collect and provide necessary information to contractors with respect to design changes, grade revisions and construction progress.
- Prepare in a timely manner the red line drawings for the preparation of “as-builts” and coordinate with survey crews to ensure that all necessary information is provided to complete “as-built” records.
- Maintain a day-to-day link between Public Works staff and contractors.
- Coordinate with contractors to ensure construction impacts on public and adjacent property owners are minimized.
- Complete payment certificates for approval to ensure that contract progress and material use is satisfactory.
- Coordinate with other utilities and levels of government where there is operational or jurisdictional overlap.
- Coordinate with local municipalities for the required road closures or any disturbance that may affect the users of the project being worked on.
- Establish and maintain harmonious relationship with general public, including delivering notification Letters to impacted residences or establishments.
- Coordinate site inspection for the final walk through to identify deficiencies before the issuance of completion certificate.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
The skills, experience and qualifications we are seeking for this job include:
- Completion of, at minimum, a three (3) year community college program in a Civil and /or Structural or Construction engineering technology discipline or a related field;
- Member in good standing with O.A.C.E.T.T. with a minimum of a C. Designation. Preference will be given to candidates with a C.E.T. OR L.E.T. designation;
- 3 to 5 years’ progressive experience in direct construction inspection, contract administration or equivalent
- Demonstrated technical proficiency in regard to understanding Civil and Structural Engineering principles and a high level of ability to read and interpret engineering drawings;
- Hold a valid Ontario Driver’s License.
We would expect that your strengths will include good oral and written communication skills. Excellent computer skills and a comprehensive knowledge of construction inspection are also key success factors for this job.
If you have the necessary skills, experience and qualifications, and support our Vision and Values of RISE (Respect and Integrity, Innovative Leadership, Synergy and Experiences) please review the “How to Apply” instructions on our website and then submit your application.
Watch our video to learn more about working at the District!
The District Municipality of Muskoka is committed to meeting its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please advise the Human Resources department as soon as possible. Accommodation may be provided in all steps of the hiring process.
Any questions regarding this posting should be directed to the Human Resources Department.