Expiry Date: 01-21-2015
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
Information Technology Services
Job # ITS 14-7
The Municipality of Chatham-Kent has an opening for a permanent full-time Network Administrator (NA). This position reports directly to the Manager, Technology Services. Network Administrators (NAs) are responsible for the planning, implementation and maintenance of all corporate server and networking infrastructure. This includes: routers, firewalls, switches, servers (physical and virtual), tape back-ups, storage area networks (SANs), UPS and all other centrally managed infrastructure components. NOTE: This position requires a Career Profile (found in our job ad under municipal jobs at www.chatham-kent.ca) and resume.
About Technology Services:
The Technology Services team is responsible for all network, communication, security, and server infrastructure as well as all client devices (desktops, laptops, tablet, smartphones, desk phones, printers, scanners, etc.). Technology Services is responsible for all core technology infrastructures and such core enterprise business applications such as Email, Instant Messaging, voice calls and video, internet connectivity, Microsoft Office, file sharing, application deployments, operating systems and remote connectivity. As an integral part of Technology Services, the IT Service Desk is the initial focal point for all service requests and incidents submitted by our 1500+ computer users within the Corporation. Technology Services also plays a major supporting role in system architecture, integration and implementation, and often Technology Services team members are involved in many different project teams for other business units, on all technology levels.
Essential responsibilities: (see our job ad under municipal jobs at www.chatham-kent.ca for full details)
- Responsible for day-to-day management and rectification of the core infrastructure and wide area network
- Ensure network and server infrastructure maintained to industry best practice standards and availability levels as required by business units
- Proactively monitor server and networking infrastructure and take action as necessary to ensure system availability
- Maintain configuration control records of all networking and server infrastructure
- Author and maintain system support documentation for all infrastructure and systems
- Monitor server and networking operating and project budgets in collaboration with Manager
Essential qualifications: (see our job ad under municipal jobs at www.chatham-kent.ca for full details)
- College diploma or university degree (preferably in a computer science or other closely related program), with four to six years related experience; or a combination of related education and experience
- Four to six years practical experience in a corporate IT environment
- Advanced academic and practical knowledge of network routers, switches and firewalls
- Current knowledge and hands-on experience of set-up, configuration and management of virtual server environments
- Current knowledge and hands-on experience of configuring and managing storage area networks, and centralized back-up mechanisms (e.g. tape libraries)
- Current knowledge and hands-on experience of network security components, including firewalls, IDS/IPS, analyzing event logs, data encryption, incident response and other industry-standard techniques and practices
- Current knowledge and hands-on experience of cloud based systems and managing cloud; infrastructure, systems, security and software in the cloud
- Knowledge of configuration and management of high-availability server configurations (e.g. clustering and load balancing)
- Network Administrators are responsible for having working knowledge of almost all software, or to gain working knowledge quickly
- Current knowledge and hands-on experience of Microsoft infrastructure, including: Windows server 2003, 2008 (and 2008 R2), MS Exchange, Active Directory, Systems Centre Configuration Manager (SCCM), Systems Centre Operations Manager (SCOM), Threat Management Gateway (TMG)
Certifications, memberships, licenses:
- MCSE (or MCITP / (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) an asset
- Cisco CCNA an asset
This position will work indoors.
Hours of Work:
- This position works week days, occasional weekends and evenings, and on call after hours and on weekends
- Required to be available outside normal business hours to assist with major incidents.
Driver’s license/vehicle requirements:
Because of the responsibilities, this position requires the successful candidate to have a valid (class G) Ontario driver’s licence; a driver’s abstract will be conducted by the Municipality of Chatham-Kent; because this position may be required to drive their own vehicle, a reliable vehicle is also required.
Police check requirements
Because of the environment this position will be working in, the successful candidate will be required to furnish an original Police Information Search (criminal reference check) prior to commencement of employment.
This permanent full-time position has an annual salary range of $66,904 to $75,688 (based on grade 8 of the 2014 non-union IT full-time compensation plan), plus health & dental benefits upon completion of a 90 day probationary period.
Candidates interested in the above position are asked to submit a Career Profile and resume to the address below. Please do not include a cover letter, or copies of transcripts, licenses, certificates, etc.
Applications must be received before 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, January 21, 2015:
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
Attn. Cathy J. E. Hoffman, MPA, CHRP, CMMIII
Director, Human Resources & Organizational Development
315 King Street West
P.O. Box 640
Chatham ON N7M 5K8
Email address: Ckresume@chatham-kent.ca
The Municipality of Chatham-Kent is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fair and accessible employment practices that attract and retain talented employees. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources & Organizational Development (HROD) at 519-360-1998 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and will be used strictly for the purpose of candidate selection. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Posted: November 10, 2014